Thanks to the collective efforts of Healthy Start CoIIN members, MCH Bureau officers, JSI/EPIC Staff and Healthy Start grantees, together we have developed and refined a set of standardized, evidence-based screening tools that will substantially improve our ability to document our participants’ needs for care coordination and satisfy our required reporting. These screening tools received official OMB approval in November 2016 and are ready for implementation. The Healthy Start EPIC has created opportunities to assist you with implementation.
HRSA has given the HS EPIC Center permission to post the OMB approved versions of these tools here for easy access.
Please refer to this recently updated Screening Tool Terminology Clarification Document to prevent any confusion.
Current versions of the screening tools are available below. A complete list of updates to the tools is available in the Table of Updates. The date of each change is noted in this document. No substantive changes will be made to the screening tools that may affect data collection or reporting after March 2017.
Since March, EPIC has received a number of questions from grantees implementing the tools which benefited from clarification. In response, selected instructions have been updated to provide clarity. None of these clarifications affect the data collection or the data export but they do ensure that all grantees are interpreting questions consistently.
The EPIC Center is maintaining a list of enhancements to the tools that require IRB approval. If you have comments or changes, you are encouraged to contact EPIC and they will record the proposed change.
- Demographic Intake (doc) (Updated 3/9/17)
- Pregnancy History (doc) (Updated 6/2/17)
- Prenatal (doc) (Updated 3/9/17)
- Preconception (doc) (Updated 3/9/17)
- Postpartum (doc) (Updated 5/12/17)
- Interconception/ Parenting (doc) (Updated 5/12/17)
- Herramienta de evaluación demográfica (doc) (Updated 3/9/17)
- Herramienta de evaluación de antecedentes de embarazo (doc) (Updated 6/2/17)
- Herramienta de evaluación prenatal (doc) (Updated 3/9/17)
- Herramienta de evaluación de preconcepción (doc) (Updated 3/9/17)
- Herramienta de evaluación de postparto (doc) (Updated 5/12/17)
- Herramienta de evaluación de inter-concepción/crianza (doc) (Updated 5/12/17)
In addition to completing the OMB-approved screening tools as indicated for each perinatal phase, repeat screening of select questions will ensure that programs capture the best data to inform performance measures. It is recommended that the program re-screen participants at least once near the end of the perinatal period. If more frequent update screening is performed, the most recent data will overwrite prior responses and will be used to calculate performance measures.
- Update Screening Questions (Updated 6/2/17)
During the remainder of this funding period, JSI/EPIC Center will provide technical support to sites adopting the screening tools including working with grantees who plan to use the tools in their current form and grantees who will integrate questions from the tools into their existing screening processes. Find information on training and technical assistance, and implementation resources here.