The Healthy Start EPIC Center is pleased to offer several new training opportunities supporting Healthy Start programs, staff, and community partners to build their capacity to promote breastfeeding among the families they serve. In partnership with the Center for Breastfeeding, this new initiative features two professional development options: community trainings, and scholarships to attend a lactation consultant training.
Breastfeeding support resources
This one page handout developed especially for Healthy Start programs, shows 10 ways that family members and friends can support breastfeeding moms. The handout can be given to Healthy Start participants during home visits or group sessions. The poster size version (11″ x 17″) can be hung up in your Healthy Start offices or waiting room.
Contact email@example.com for a pdf file to take to your local printer so that you can have copies made.
- Support Healthy Start programs to implement evidence-based practices to achieve breastfeeding benchmarks.
- Offer community training opportunities for Healthy Start to engage partners in a community-wide learning experience.
- Enhance skills of Healthy Start staff through formal certification training.
As part of the Community Training initiative, Healthy Start programs can request one of two one-day breastfeeding trainings. A huge success in 2016, the 2017 training topics will be announced later this year. Stay tuned for the announcement when the 2017 Community Training Series is launched!
Lactation Counselor Training Course
What does the Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC) scholarship cover?
The Healthy Start EPIC Center will cover the cost of the training registration and the text book for selected applicants. Selected applicants and/or their grantee program are responsible for all travel costs and exam fees, and are encouraged to discuss any concerns with their Healthy Start Project Officer. Important considerations for applicants:
- Selected applications must attend one of the Center for Breastfeeding’s nationwide accredited trainings that occur between August 1, 2017 and May 31, 2018.
- The intensive training course is a 5-day commitment. You may view the current training schedule on the Center for Breastfeeding’s website.
- The HS EPIC Center is not responsible for travel costs.
- Applicants must have approval from their project director and direct supervisor to participate.
- Mid-May: Healthy Start EPIC Center will officially launch application process via e-mail to all Healthy Start staff subscribed to the e-News.
- June 30: Scholarship applications due
- July 28: Application decisions announced
- August 1, 2017 – May 31, 2018: Awarded applicants may register for and attend a 5-day Lactation Counselor Training course offered by the Center for Breastfeeding.