The Healthy Start EPIC Center is pleased to offer several new training opportunities supporting Healthy Start programs, staff, and community partners to build their capacity to promote breastfeeding among the families they serve. In partnership with the Center for Breastfeeding, this new initiative features two professional development options: community trainings, and scholarships to attend a lactation consultant training.
- Support Healthy Start programs to implement evidence-based practices to achieve breastfeeding benchmarks.
- Offer community training opportunities for Healthy Start to engage partners in a community-wide learning experience.
- Enhance skills of Healthy Start staff through formal certification training.
As part of the Community Training initiative, Healthy Start programs can now request one of the trainings described below, which can be requested by visiting the training page on HealthyStartEPIC.org. The Healthy Start EPIC Center will cover the cost of the trainer and trainer travel. Healthy Start programs are responsible for participant recruitment and all other local logistics.
Working Together: Communication and Teamwork Strategies for Reclaiming Breastfeeding (2 days)
This course explores the theories of team and group processes including the use of teamwork tools, participatory action research, data driven planning, quality improvement processes and evidence-based practice using a framework of breastfeeding promotion, protection and support. Breastfeeding coalitions, WIC programs, hospital staff and others can benefit from this training.
CEUs: RNs: 12 Contact Hours; RDs: 12; IBCLCs: 12L CERPs
Community Breastfeeding Educator (3 days)
This foundation course for community workers in maternal child health focuses on providing services to pregnant women to encourage the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding. Strategies for providing anticipatory guidance and support in order to prevent breastfeeding problems and to address barriers to breastfeeding, and to enable women to overcome any perceived or actual breastfeeding problems.
CEUs: RNs: 24 Contact Hours; RDs: 18; IBCLCs: 24L CERPs
Lactation Counselor Training Course
In June 2016, the Healthy Start EPIC Center will accept applications from Healthy Start program staff as part of a competitive scholarship process. Up to 100 Healthy Start program staff will be awarded scholarships to attend a 5-day Lactation Counselor Training course at one of many nationwide training sites. Healthy Start programs are responsible for all travel costs, as well as the fee for the CLC certification exam which follows the training course.
- May 17: Official launch of the Breastfeeding Training Initiative during Hear from Your Peer: Training Opportunities to Support Breastfeeding Among the Healthy Start Community; Application process announced.
- June 30: Scholarship applications due
- July 29: Application decisions announced
- August 1 – March 31: Awarded applicants may register for and attend a 5-day Lactation Counselor Training course offered by the Center for Breastfeeding.